Monday, July 02, 2007

Thoughts from a workforce newbie

After years of anticipation, I was very enthusiastic to join the workforce. I was pleased to get accepted into my dream company. I had an mentor worth respecting, a close friend-cum-colleague, and the exact control over my job scope I wanted. I was so prepared and ready to do it -so I thought.

The night before my first day, reality hit me hard. From being a carefree student who got away with last minute work, I now had to be a consistent and reliable source of information. I could go to jail if I make a mistake! This was serious stuff, and there would be no friends or lecturers to fall back on. I began to panic, I felt so unprepared, I felt so alone... no amount of pre-planning was adequete to overcome those nerves.

The waters covered my head, my feet could touch no bottom. How could I, a barely competent swimmer, navigate this vast unknown ocean, and survive the waves and sharks? But I cried out to God, and He answered me.

I praise God that in the midst of my panic attack, there was the comfort of prayer support just a phone call away. The prayers of my family and cell members gave me great strength. I know those prayers helped me fall into a fitful sleep, and awake with courage to face the new beginning.

Much to my surprise, the first day was not terrible. There was an orientation to help me find my bearings, and my friendly new colleagues even prepared a goodie bag to welcome me. I was able to fit in, and knew it was God's favour. I felt so blessed to survive what I thought would be a terrifying day.

God is wonderful to lift us up when we are weak. In our despair, we realize our frailty, in relying on His stength we learn to trust Him to shatter our fears. How amazing that He always sends us guidance when we need it most.

Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it"

I pray that all of you too will find strenght in your new beginnings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey wat job ru doing now, fren? :)

c said...

i'm a lawyer :)